Exoplanet Basic Program
Pre-Calibrated Exoplanet Transit Data
Designed for use in Highschool Classrooms from Grade 9 -12. Your students will analyze real exoplanet transit data collected by the Royal Astronomical Society’s Robotic Telescope! This customizable astronomy program is designed for in-person and remote classrooms.
No astronomical data analysis or exoplanet experience required!
We provide you will all the resources you will need to introduce the topic of exoplanets to your students, and guide them through the analysis and graphing of an exoplanet transit using pre-calibrated data. Choose up to five different exoplanet datasets for your class to analyze.
You can also sign your class up for a virtual field trip to watch the data collection process live (via Zoom)!*
Apply now to give your students a hands-on lab-based learning experience with real astronomical data!
*Note: data collection happens on in the Wednesday evenings Pacific time (9-11pm ET), is weather dependent, and subject to timeslot availability
Do your students only have access to Chromebooks? Check out our Essentials Program!
- Use the scientific method to explore and learn about an exoplanet
- Analyze and interpret real astronomical data
- Discover the different methods and technologies used to collect and analyze astronomical data to discover exoplanet systems (i.e. observation techniques, telescopes, and technologies used)
- Learn about why we search for and study exoplanets
- Learn more about Canadian contributions to exoplanet research and careers in astronomy
- Find curriculum connections specific to your provincial curriculum here!
- Introducing Exoplanets Presentation Slides
- Project Introduction Presentation Slides
- Teacher Package:
- Sample Class Schedule
- Walkthrough of each project stage
- Presentation Notes
- Resource Links & More
- Student Package:
- Written & Video Tutorials
- Fillable PDF Lab Report
- Pre-calibrated Exoplanet Data
- Software Download Links & More
- Access to Student & Teacher Forums